Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wayside Recipe of the day

Snow?! No school? As we find things to do on this snowy day, I hope you can make this soup. Try it and let me know what you think.



During the cold winter months I love to make a squash soup. I get the request to make my squash soup for family gatherings. I got the recipe from my Mother-In-Law many years ago. She had made it when she found it in her newspaper. I liked it a lot and saved the newspaper clipping from the trash can. I have changed a few things and replaced fattening butter and heavy cream for healthy olive oil and light cream, but the soup still remains delicious. I hope it becomes one of your favorites as well. Enjoy!
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and diced
1 2-pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 or 2 inch chunks
3 Granny Smith or other apples peeled, cored and cut into large pieces
1 quart chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1 cup of light cream of half and half
Salt, fresh pepper and nutmeg to taste
Grated cheddar cheese and sour cream optional
In a large pot over medium heat fry the onions in the olive oil until translucent, this sweetens the onions. Add the squash and apples to the mixture. Cook for a few more minutes. Add the chicken stock, bay leaf, sprinkle some salt and increase the heat to high. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until squash is very soft. About 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf and working in batches puree the soup in a food processor or I use my blender. I leave about a cup of squash and apples in chunks because my husband loves it that way.
Return the pureed soup to the pot. Add pepper, nutmeg, salt and cream. Stir over a low flame until the soup is warm. Serve in bowls and garnish with the grated cheddar cheese and a blob of sour cream in the middle. Sometimes I sprinkle a little more nutmeg on the bowls. I serve with Ritz crackers or bread.

1 comment:

  1. This recipe came at the perfect time. Yesterday, I stopped at Sweet Bites in West Acton for lunch. I was yearning for one of their wonderful soups. I ordered the butternut squash soup. As I enjoyed every last bite I thought to myself, I really do need to find a recipe and do this myself! You read my mind!!! I will be trying this before the week is out! Thank you so much for this!!!

    ReplyDelete